Friday, September 24, 2010

Sewing Lessons

Bookbinding requires a lot of hand sewing and stitching, but the sewing machine has remained a mystery to me.So I asked my Mother-in-Law to give me some sewing lessons. She is pretty incredible behind the pedal, so I was very fortunate to have access to an adept instructor.

I started with this lovely fabric from Hancock Fabrics and this dingy pillow originally from Walmart. I absolutely love the fabric so it wasn't hard to get motivated for the project. I'm not sure what I expected, but all in all, it wasn't too bad. Okay, so it was wonderful. It was such a rewarding experience to watch those stitches come together so perfect and even. I talked my mother-in-law into letting me sew in the zipper for the second pillow. I had to pull out the stitches a few times, but I eventually got it. Only 3 short hours later, I ended up with 2 lovely pillows. Not bad for my first try.


No comments:

Post a Comment